Recommended Oil Type for 2012 RAM 1500
For truck RAM 1500 2012, the recommended engine oil viscosity is SAE 5W-20. This specification will support engine performance in all operating temperatures, including low temperatures. Not only that, but the right type of oil specs will also improve fuel efficiency.
You can also see the oil filler cap to determine what type of oil matches your RAM engine’s specifications.
You need to remember that if your vehicle is 5.7L, you have to use SAE 5W-20 oil. Mistakes in choosing oil as needed can cause failure in the MDS (Multi-Displacement System).
After you know the viscosity grade of the oil, you must also check its certification. Make sure the oil is officially certified by the API (American Petroleum Institute). The oil that has been certified usually has an API symbol on the packaging.
The automaker also highly recommends that this oil also meets MS-6395 (Chrysler Material Standard) to ensure your vehicle gets full protection while operating in any condition.
Use of Synthetic Oils
It’s okay if you choose synthetic oils. But with a note that they must meet the requirements for use. Also, you must always follow a regular maintenance schedule, including oil filter changes.
Oil Change Interval
You are advised to do oil changes every 6 months or after every 13000 km (8000 miles). To make it easier, the oil change indicator system will also remind you when it’s time to carry out periodic maintenance.
How To Change 2012 RAM 1500 Oil
To make a replacement for the 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 liters, you need:
- SAE 5W-20 oil products such as MOPAR, Pennzoil, Mobil 1 synthetic, or others.
- Oil filter
- Drain pan
- Filter wrench
- 13 mm sockets
- Plastic funnel
Steps to Change the Oil
Here’s how to change the oil on a RAM 1500 2012 truck.
- You need to be under the truck. If you have trouble, you can use ramps to support the wheels so that you have enough space and get better visibility.
- Place the oil pan just below the drain of used oil.
- Remove the drain plug with a 13 mm socket. Do this when the engine is cold. We don’t recommend it after running the engine for a while because the oil will get very hot.
- Collect used oil in the pan until it runs out
- Use a dry cloth to wipe the excess oil on the lip of the drain.
- Reinstall the drain plug. First, you can use your hands and then tighten with a 13 mm socket. Be careful, install and tighten it properly so that the bolts do not wear out.
- Change oil filter. You can find it in front of the engine, on the passenger side, near the crankcase, so you can easily find it. Make sure you also put the oil pan under it.
- Use a wrench filter to remove the oil filter. Put on the filter wrench and tighten it, then turn it counterclockwise to loosen the oil filter. After that, you can take it off easily by hand.
- Drains the oil that comes out of the old oil filter. Wipe with a dry cloth to clean excess oil.
- Install the new oil filter using a french filter. Tighten by turning it clockwise.
- Open the hood and oil filler cap. Put a funnel in the oil inlet hole to make it easier for you to add oil.
- After adding new oil, you can check the level using a dipstick. But beforehand, make sure the dipstick is clean by wiping it with a cloth. Make sure the level is as needed.
- Finally, you need to reset the oil change reminder in the system. The method is relatively easy, with the key position ON (ignition), press the gas pedal three times, and start the truck. If successful, you will no longer see the oil change reminder message.
That’s information about the type of oil suitable for your 2012 RAM 1500 truck and how to replace it. Hopefully, what we write will provide many benefits for you.
Ryan Daniel is a car enthusiast, and he has years of experience in the automotive field as an engineer. Now he is also active as an automobile blogger and member of the auto community.